Struggling with a size chart for a portrait is a common phenomenon.
Every portrait is personal to people, and every size may project a different feeling.
Hence, it is very important to select the right size for the right emotion.
But what exactly is a size chart? And how to understand which one fits the best?
There is a wide array of possibilities and choosing proper canvas sizes is confusing.
So, which portrait size should you get? You stand clueless, calculating all the dimensions and specifications vis-à-vis your wall.
Allow us to break the size chart down for you.
Portrait or canvas size chart depends on the number of characters, types of background, and the place you want to display it.
Size chart largely means small, medium, and large portraits.
“Okay, you did not know that a portrait had the power to make life so difficult!”
Look no further for we are here to take you out of the muddle.
1. Small Portrait
The smallest available size, this portrait generally resembles a standard size paper.
The portrait size chart generally has 8 inches by 10 inches (width by height) with a frame size of 11 inches by 14 inches.
Best for a self-portrait or single character portraits, small canvas painting generally needs 2.5 inches of face dimensions to maintain a minimum threshold of visibility.
Benefits Of Small Canvas Painting:
- A small canvas painting or portrait does not take a lot of space.
- Small canvas paintings can be used to balance spatial arrangements. Even if you are not crazy about Feng Shui, you definitely want a well-designed and geometrical wall.
- Above all, mixing can be easy with small canvas paintings. You can use other small items to complement and co-decorate with small canvas painting.
- Portable and can be carried anywhere without much hassle.
- A self-portrait or a single character portrait.
- It can certainly be souvenir for a loved one.
- A showpiece for a bookshelf, coffee table, study table, or a bedside piece.
- A small canvas painting or portrait can be the anchor of your room. Hang this small portrait at your eye-level with approximately 8 inches to 10 inches gap from an object (ex. a chair).
- A Small wall looks happier with small painting all across, instead of one large portrait.
- Do not forget the frame. The frame adds value and equation to a small portrait.
2. Medium Portrait
A medium portrait is mostly recommended for three characters.
On making two characters, there is a lot of space for the background too. The final call, however, is left to the customer.
The portrait size is mostly 11 inches by 14 inches.
The frame adds an addition to the dimension making it 16 inches by 20 inches.
Benefits Of Medium Canvas Size:
- Most convenient and can be either be hanged on the wall or laminated and kept as a table piece.
- Moreover, it gives you the option of adding a background by keeping the medium canvas painting in focus.
- Flexible cropping options.
- It gives a clear image without any distortions.
- A gift to a close one.
- Stand-alone table pieces.
- Can give a dominating impact on small walls especially when hung overhead a small object (ex. a mantelpiece or small bar cabinet)
- That is also to say that it is perfect for galleries.
- It can also be blended with small canvas paintings to give a big impression.
3. Large Portrait
Large canvas painting can accommodate four and more characters with a huge scope for background customization too.
It is a perfect frame size for friends or family portraits that include four to five people.
The portrait sizes are 12 inches by 18 inches with the borderline.
That is to say that the frame size makes it 18 inches by 24 inches.
Benefits Of Large Canvas Painting:
- Large canvas sizes are enough for a better background and proper detailing.
- It allows the intricacies of elements and colors to blend flawlessly.
- Serves as a better base for experimentation.
- The clarity is not compromised on unlike in small and medium portraits.
- A small-family portrait.
- Additionally, it can create a sense of influence if hung right above a couch.
- Ideal for living-room, dining-room, or drawing-room.
- It is the easiest way to improve the curb appeal of your home by giving it a fresh interior.
- Large canvas paintings add interest and improve the focal point of the room.
- A small-family portrait or a portrait of your friends can create a positive impact on your mood.
4. Custom Portraits
This is the ideal option for somebody who is caught because of the standard size and specifications.
Custom paintings are flexible with dimensions and do not constrain themselves to a portrait size chart.
Subsequently the frame can be customized and can cater to special requirements of the customer.
Custom portraits are ideal for more than five characters.
It can easily make up for the incompetency of small, medium, and large portraits.
Most people generally choose custom paintings over the standard portrait size chart due to its resilience and flexibility.
Benefits Of Custom Paintings:
- Gives you a wide string of options from dimensions to the number of characters to merged or compilation portraits.
- Custom paintings can be tailor-made to fit any surrounding, area, or purpose.
- Not only the painting, but the borderline, frame, and background can also be customized until the customer’s heart content.
- Flexible so much, that it can go from a wallet-size portrait to a huge living room portrait.
- A family portrait.
- To steal the visitor’s attention and complement other home décor pieces.
- Ideal when people and the background need to be accommodated.
- A huge centerpiece for your living room or bedroom.
5 Tips To Look For While Choosing A Portrait Painting
Portrait paintings are pieces that help define the personality and ego of a homeowner.
Hence, it is very important to have a little idea about the placement of portrait painting in space.
Portrait psychology says, “A painting can change the entire mood of a person, and different spaces in the house demand different arrangements and portrait sizes.”
The best thing about a portrait painting is that you can take it with you wherever you move. It will continue to add value to your walls with time.
The kitchen is the most forgotten space when it comes to hanging a portrait painting.
Often called the “heart of the home”, the kitchen is the most used space.
It deserves a little more beautification, after all.
A small canvas painting or portrait goes well with other kitchenware and can change the entire ambiance of your cooking room.
Get a small custom portrait from PortraitFlip to make your kitchen shelf more happening and your mornings happier.
The medium portrait goes wonderfully well in bathrooms. This is yet another space that we tend to overlook when it comes to home art.
The portrait painting that you choose should complement the vibes of your bathroom.
If it is a powder room go for happy pictures.
For the main bathroom, however, more serene memory portraits can go well.
The interior of your bathroom also determines the medium of painting that you want to hang.
So, a black and golden interior will require a Charcoal Portrait, so on and so forth.
The bedroom is a space to relax and retreat and the portrait painting should echo it.
The best placement for portrait painting would either be above the bed at an eye-view level parallel to another small canvas painting on the opposite wall.
Keep the portrait minimal with a gallery frame – classy!
For Living Room
The living room is the place we are most concerned with. It is a place where we converse and entertain our guests.
People spend most of their time deciding a centerpiece for their living room.
The portrait should be welcoming, warm, and full of life. Just hanging it on the wall is not enough.
The medium of painting should complement the color, ambiance, and aesthetic appeal of the wall.
Before putting up a portrait painting on the wall, consider the style and theme, colors of the room, space optimization, visual balance, and lighting of the living room.
A family oil portrait works best as the cynosure of your living room – upholding the family bloodline and giving a royal touch to your living room.
The office can get extremely boring sometimes but constant motivation can go a long way.
Art can uplift your mood in seconds, and that’s when you need a custom portrait to get yourself going.
Be it work from home or in the office, a small canvas painting is a great way to personalize your workspace.
The best way to do is by installing a floating ledge and including a blend of positive portraits.
Further, you can include custom portraits of people who inspire you to work hard.
You can also play around with big or small canvas paintings.
On the other hand, you can also choose minimalistic frames and keep them unnailed.
The possibilities are endless, just like our determination to satisfy you.
The world has become a more global and social place.
However, there is a more intimate relationship that you share with your memories.
A portrait instills deep emotions in you which slowly grows over you.
Consequently, for every perfect art, there is always a perfect size chart.
Time is ever-changing and ever-wavering, and amongst it, the only thing a person wants to clench for dear life is the memories.
PortraitFlip gives you the palette to draw your memories, frame them, and keep them forever.
A website that is dedicated to providing painting and sketches to all art enthusiasts across the globe.
This is how it looks like:
There is an array of the medium of paintings to choose from.
That is to say Oil, Acrylic, Charcoal, Pencil, Color Pencil, and Watercolor Portrait.
Besides our size chart has a wide range that can fit into your desired dimensions.
If not, there is always room for customization and improvisation.
The godsent talent of the artists with a little cooperation from you can create a unique portrait.
It can be given as a gift, hung as wall art, kept as a memoir, or placed on your bedside table.
Art works in mysterious ways.
It can brighten your morning and motivate you to get going. Above all, it will let you hold on to a dear memory forever.
“A memory is a way of holding on to things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.” -Kevin Arnold
Check our gallery here.
You do not need a reason to get yourself a portrait. Tell yourself that art is the creation of beauty and order now!
It will surely accommodate itself naturally with space.
Suggested: Occasions To Gift A Handmade Portrait
After all, you got to “make sure your life is full of memories at the end.”
That’s all folks!
Go, spread love and joy to your close ones.
Hope we could clear your portrait size chart confusion.
As we say, In Custom Portrait, we trust!
If you have any concerns or questions, you can always reach out to us in the comment section below.
You can also follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
If you liked this article, do share it further!
And if you have reached here, thank you!